Every day there’s a hacker hacking a company. The news is flooded with new victims every day. Most of us turn a blind eye until it happens to us.
Many leading companies from all over the world were affected by the Wipro data breach.
Even the most loved, trusted, and popular companies in the U.S. have been hacked. Renown and loved Arizona Beverage Company, to large Fortune 500 financial firms have become victims of cyber-attacks. Every company big or small, no matter the industry is at risk. From e-commerce, retailers, healthcare manufacturing, financial, and Managed Service Providers.
What does that mean for small and medium sized businesses? If large, Fortune 100 companies are being hacked and data is being breached. How can my business survive?
Some businesses cannot survive the reputational risk of being hacked at any level. The productivity time lost, the employee moral plummets, possible litigation issues, lost revenue and the most valuable asset lost – clients’ trust.
Luckily, there are steps that small and medium sized businesses can take when it comes to cybersecurity.
- Employee training – Most cyber hacks happen because of phishing. Basically a fancy word for an imposter. In Miami, unfortunately, these types of scams are the norm. A solution to this is quarterly or bi-annually mandatory IT Security presentations and assessments. Let’s be honest most employees find this boring and tedious but it needs to be done. Better late than sorry.
- Tip – Incentive employees and set a deadline to complete this assessment. Make clear that this is mandatory.
- Two Factor Authentication and routine password changes – We recommend password changes every 30 days with specific requirements. Social engineering is a real problem.
- Look out for common phishing signs such as :
- Grammatical errors, ex. AIIG vs AIG
- Being asked to disclose personal or confidential email
- Unknown company or sender
- Too good to be true, FREE Services / Products
- Check the URL
- Sometimes the sender is someone that you know! Check, Check the URL
- Social Media – Yes, social media. Hackers use this to try and guess your password. Example – Most people use their birthday, anniversary, or important events in their password. This is how a lot of celebrities get hacked.
- Record your phone calls – Sometimes a hacker might call and disguise as an IT tech, colleague, or partner to gather information and target the company. By recording the call you can refer back to the original target.
- Partner with the right Managed IT firm – Ask questions, do your due diligence. A trusted Managed IT provider should provide references, recommendations and truly understand your needs. Try partnering with a partner that has experience in your industry and has good referrals. We encourage our prospective clients to visit current clients.
Some questions to ask include :
- What verticals are you experts on ?
- Are your engineers certified? What certifications do they have ?
- How long have you been in business ? And do you use what you sell ?
- What is the SLA ? How do you honor it ?
- Can we speak to current clients ?
The old saying is true…. You get what you pay for. When it comes to IT Services, oftentimes, the cheaper route is not the answer. Investing in the right team is imperative. One hack and your company can be out of business and never recover. According to the Florida SBDC, the cost of a cyber attack is over 20k for a small business and about 63% have already been hacked.
With Nerds Support, you get a team full of Microsoft certified engineers that have gone through a vigorous hiring process. We have the procedures in place so you never have to worry about a cyber-hack or data breach. We do the worrying for you.
We truly care about helping small and medium sized businesses with their IT needs. As your Miami IT Services partner, we will secure your information and act as your very own IT team.
You deserve the best team there is. Leave it to Nerds Supports to help you increase productivity, secure your information and handle all IT hiccups.
Schedule your free IT assessment. Hurry, slots are limited.
Contact us today at 305-551-2009